In Estates in the Sun we will make sure we are with you in each step of the way.

We have a list of fully qualified partners who will give you advise about any doubts or special requirements and will help you with morgages, insuraces, registers etc

An overview of the conveyancing process in Spain is as follows:

We will make an offer for you and then negotiate with the vendor until you reach an agreement, after which our lawyers will carry out the necessary due diligence and check the appropriate contracts. Once you get the okay from the lawyer – but never before – you sign a private contract with the vendor and make an initial payment as specified in the terms of the contract. This is the point of no return after which backing out becomes difficult or impossible without significant financial loses. You will then have time to prepare for the signing of the deeds before Notary – normally between 1 and 3 months – in which time we will help you to make arrangements such as getting your funds in place. Come the appointed time you sign the deeds before Notary and take possession of the property. The final stage involves us helping you to inscribe your title in the property register, paying any relevant taxes and setting up utility connections.

In reality you may find that some stages, for instance negotiations and due diligence, can be done in parallel (at the same time) rather than in series (one after the other) or that the whole process seems to be a lot more messy. However it is important to understand the ideal sequence of events and the logic behind this, which is essentially to protect your interests. Perhaps the most important point of all is that you should never sign contracts and make any non-refundable payments until you get the all clear from the lawyer after an adequate due diligence.

Paperwork you need to apply for a mortgage in Spain

  • Proof of UK residence (e.g. driving licence, council tax bill or utility bill)
  • Your last six months of personal bank statements that show declared income and outgoings
  • Your three most recent wage slips and latest P60 (if you are self-employed then you will need your audited accounts for the last two years)
  • Tax returns for the last two years and a letter from your accountant confirming your income and tax payments for the previous year
  • Proof of any additional sources of income you wish to borrow against
  • Copy of any tenancy agreements on buy-to-let properties
  • Details of any pension you are receiving